Conflict has posed a great threat to human existence and there is virtually no society which is free from the dangers of conflict.
What is Conflict Management?
Conflict management is the process of limiting the negative aspects of conflict while increasing the positive aspects of conflict. The aim of conflict management is to enhance learning and group outcomes, including effectiveness or performance in an organizational setting.
There are two theories of conflict management. The traditional theory is based on the assumption that conflicts are bad, are caused by trouble makers, and should be subdued. Contemporary theory recognizes that conflicts between human beings are unavoidable.
When conflict is managed effectively, team members see conflict as a tool to exchange ideas while allowing each party to be equally heard. "Teams cannot have effective communication without productive conflict." Adequately managed conflict is an effective form of communication rather than a fearful argument.
I'll be sharing a story on Conflict Management Skills.
*Story of a man milking a cow. He was kicked by the cow and in an attempt for him to kick the animal back in revenge, he lost the bucket of milk he already got.*
● *We need to learn that seeking revenge could cause more harm than good.*
● *If the man had left without bothering to kick the cow back, he would have gained a bucket of milk.*
● *There is a bucket of milk in our hands.*
*It may be a high position we have laboured to attain, a friendship we have built for years, marriage, job, health, baby you have been praying for. Seeking revenge may lead to loss of any of these.*
● *Just forgive, let go and move on so that greater things will not be lost.*
● *Is it not even ridiculous that the man tried to kick the cow back instead of running with his bucket of milk?*
● *Let us look around us, there are cows that will kick us, by deliberately hurting us daily or at any given opportunity when we are trying to achieve our dreams in life.*
● *They want us to kick them back so that our buckets of milk will be empty.*
*We are to be wise of the devices and ploys of the enemy of our glorious destiny.*
*Just forgive, let go and move on so that greater things will not be lost.*
Peace is not absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means. For good ideas and true innovation, you need human interaction, conflict, argument, debate. The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
Thank you for reading.